Swag Bucks

Search & Win

Friday, February 10, 2012

Treading Water on Ripple Creek Farm: LilyTreading Water on Ripple Creek Farm: Lily by Beulah S. Coyne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a historical fiction story, of what it was like to live on a farm during the 1940s. This book paint a vivid picture and draws each reader into their own memories childhood. Having not been born in the 1940's this book reminded me of playing outside all day making rock forts and only watching television on the weekends. It made me miss the days when children spent all day outside if the weather permitted instead of in front of a television or computer.
Coyne's vivid descriptions of daily life on Ripple Creek Farm make it easier to immerse yourself in this book. She describes everything in detail from the food they ate, chores they did, to the way they worshiped. This book is a wonderful reminder of days gone by. I would recommend it to anyone who loves history.
I won this book in a contest from Goodreads.

View all my reviews Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic RootsUnorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having been raised in a strict Seventh Day Adventist household, I wasn't excited to read about another religion that oppresses its members. I did enjoy Deborah's writing style but found myself irritated at the way women were treated. So to say I enjoyed this book would be a lie. I did however think she painted a rather revealing picture of what life is like bound into a religion that you didn't pick for yourself.
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment